May 11, 2009

puppy update

As of this past Saturday, the puppies are now three weeks old. They're living outside now, full-time in the pen. Minnie can get in and out freely, but we've set it up so they can't escape. Their little milk teeth are starting to come in, so the weening will begin soon. Mom has this crazy recipe for what we call "gravy"; it's some combination of goat milk, eggs, Karo syrup and God only knows what else. They seem to love it; and it fattens them up like little butterballs. We line the pen with cedar shavings; it makes the puppies smell amazing. That'd be my one tip for other dog breeders or for people who have to pen their dogs up outside for any reason - line their pens with cedar shavings! You will NOT regret it; it's worth every penny!

Justin & I had been thinking about keeping one of the puppies for ourselves; this makes the second go-around we've had with the puppy debate. He wants a "hunting dog" and he thinks a Basset would be a good choice; I know better than that. The only thing a Basset is going to "hunt" is the couch, the food bowl and the belly rub. Other than that, they're pretty much useless. These puppies aren't any better, I'm afraid. They love to be loved on! Sidney doesn't have the loveliest touch when it comes to playing with the puppies, but she tries. She's like a little mama duck always keeping her babies huddled together. They tolerate her for now; in a couple weeks it will be on like donkey kong! She'll be at the mercy of a Basset Hound brigade!

I took some pics of SidMo and the puppies; they were too adorable not to share. You have to admit, they're pretty darn cute! (SidMo's not too bad either...)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic



Sometimes words aren't enough. The cuteness just has to speak for itself!

2 comments:

  1. I am such a sucker for a puppy!!! so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin would die for one of these puppies! That's all he's ever talked about! Once upon a time, when I lived in a dream world and thought that this wedding thing would be a piece of cake, I knew that's what my wedding gift to him would be. Of course, I just knew we'd own our own home w/ a big yard. HA! Oh, well...maybe an anniversary present is in order!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!