When SidMo was just a peanut in-utero, Justin and I would talk back and forth about what we thought she was going to look like. There's about a million different combinations she could've and still might end up looking like. Our families are pretty different looking spaced out among mothers, brothers, cousins, aunts and uncles.
I always said the one thing I hoped she would take after Justin would be his hair: that on top of his head and the beautiful eyelashes he was blessed with (from his own momma).

(his hair is naturally curly - like afro-curly when it's long)
When Justin was born, he had cotton-curly hair. I've seen his baby pictures - it was almost as white as snow and curled up into the cutest little puffs on his head. He was adorable (which probably saved his ass, because he was hell on wheels from what his momma has told me)! When I was born, I had no hair on my head. My mom always tells me the story that when her Uncle Larry called and asked "Is she beautiful?" my poor mom broke down in tears and said "No." - truth is, mom had a rough delivery and I came out looking like I had been in 9 rounds with Mike Tyson (ear piece gone and everything)!
Needless to say, I had no idea what to expect when I gave birth to SidMo. I didn't know if she'd come out beautiful or ugly or bruised. I wasn't sure if she'd have a mop of curly hair or no hair at all. I was almost 100% sure her eyes would be blue (the only other possibility I could think of was green...maybe). But other than that, I had no idea what she'd look like. It was three parts exciting, one part terrifying. Although now I know I had no reason to ever worry; even if she did come out "ugly" she would've still been beautiful to me.
(and of course she was beautiful - covered in jet black hair)
As she's grown and grown (and grown and grown and grown) her hair has become sort of her staple: her identifying feature. She was lucky enough to get her daddy's beautiful curls, but she also got some unruliness from me. Her hair is curly and wild and gorgeous - it changed from dark black to a dark brown to what is now a very creamy brown. It's beautiful without a doubt. But it's also crazy - her hair has a mind of its own. And I am in no position to deal with it. I barely even brush my hair let alone do anything above and beyond to beautify it. (Luckily my hair is humane most of the time and does its own thing naturally) I thinks she gets some of that from me.



I always knew I would have a daughter someday. And I knew that by having that daughter, I'd have to harness my inner girl and use it to my advantage. I'd have to be the one (out of us parents) that could help SidMo with the girly parts of life, like hair and make-up and the womanly "curse". Birds of a feather stick together - kind of thing. But I admit I'm at a loss when it comes to helping her deal with this hair of hers; this cursed hair that sweats her neck as the days get longer. This hair she always gets food in and hates to have brushed or touched. This hair that is such a staple of who she is and where she came from. Her hair is wild and unruly and beautiful - all the things that I think she is as she approaches her 2nd birthday. She's gone from being this perfect flat little crop of a person to this booming, vibrant person with a Medusa like craziness to her. It's such a transition! I realize it's just hair and she'll probably hate and change it a million times over the coming years. But I hope she always remembers that this is the hair I wanted for her. This is the personality quirk and beauty charm I wanted her to possess. I always knew that she could carry her own with a crazy mop of curly, unruly hair. And she's done better with it than I ever could have - even if we both are girls. Deep down, she's already 20x more of a girly-girl than I ever could've helped her be.
It's just hair - sure. But it's her hair. It's her gorgeous hair bestowed upon her by her father and me. I hope she loves it...because lord knows I'm in love with that moptop more than I could ever say.
I always said the one thing I hoped she would take after Justin would be his hair: that on top of his head and the beautiful eyelashes he was blessed with (from his own momma).
(his hair is naturally curly - like afro-curly when it's long)
When Justin was born, he had cotton-curly hair. I've seen his baby pictures - it was almost as white as snow and curled up into the cutest little puffs on his head. He was adorable (which probably saved his ass, because he was hell on wheels from what his momma has told me)! When I was born, I had no hair on my head. My mom always tells me the story that when her Uncle Larry called and asked "Is she beautiful?" my poor mom broke down in tears and said "No." - truth is, mom had a rough delivery and I came out looking like I had been in 9 rounds with Mike Tyson (ear piece gone and everything)!
Needless to say, I had no idea what to expect when I gave birth to SidMo. I didn't know if she'd come out beautiful or ugly or bruised. I wasn't sure if she'd have a mop of curly hair or no hair at all. I was almost 100% sure her eyes would be blue (the only other possibility I could think of was green...maybe). But other than that, I had no idea what she'd look like. It was three parts exciting, one part terrifying. Although now I know I had no reason to ever worry; even if she did come out "ugly" she would've still been beautiful to me.
(and of course she was beautiful - covered in jet black hair)
As she's grown and grown (and grown and grown and grown) her hair has become sort of her staple: her identifying feature. She was lucky enough to get her daddy's beautiful curls, but she also got some unruliness from me. Her hair is curly and wild and gorgeous - it changed from dark black to a dark brown to what is now a very creamy brown. It's beautiful without a doubt. But it's also crazy - her hair has a mind of its own. And I am in no position to deal with it. I barely even brush my hair let alone do anything above and beyond to beautify it. (Luckily my hair is humane most of the time and does its own thing naturally) I thinks she gets some of that from me.
I always knew I would have a daughter someday. And I knew that by having that daughter, I'd have to harness my inner girl and use it to my advantage. I'd have to be the one (out of us parents) that could help SidMo with the girly parts of life, like hair and make-up and the womanly "curse". Birds of a feather stick together - kind of thing. But I admit I'm at a loss when it comes to helping her deal with this hair of hers; this cursed hair that sweats her neck as the days get longer. This hair she always gets food in and hates to have brushed or touched. This hair that is such a staple of who she is and where she came from. Her hair is wild and unruly and beautiful - all the things that I think she is as she approaches her 2nd birthday. She's gone from being this perfect flat little crop of a person to this booming, vibrant person with a Medusa like craziness to her. It's such a transition! I realize it's just hair and she'll probably hate and change it a million times over the coming years. But I hope she always remembers that this is the hair I wanted for her. This is the personality quirk and beauty charm I wanted her to possess. I always knew that she could carry her own with a crazy mop of curly, unruly hair. And she's done better with it than I ever could have - even if we both are girls. Deep down, she's already 20x more of a girly-girl than I ever could've helped her be.
It's just hair - sure. But it's her hair. It's her gorgeous hair bestowed upon her by her father and me. I hope she loves it...because lord knows I'm in love with that moptop more than I could ever say.
Her hair is beautiful! Just as she is. :)
ReplyDeleteThat is truly one beautiful little girl you have!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to have you following my blog!!!!!!!! :)
what a beautiful post! and your daughter is gorgeous, with hair to match!
ReplyDeleteAwww, so sweet! Love the curls, for sure! =)
ReplyDelete