Aug 4, 2009

what I like about you

Whenever I go browsing around the blogger-world looking for new blogs to follow, I'm usually not following a very specific pattern. I just skip from blog to blog to blog to blog until I find one that catches my eye and keeps me interested. I never realized how many blogs there are out there. Let me rephrase: how many MOMMY blogs there are out there. And it got me thinking?

Is this a mommy blog?

What are the criteria to be considered a mommy blog? I am a "mommy" (or as my child will tell you a mom-mom) and I have a blog. Does that automatically put me in the mommy blog club? I don't think so. A lot of moms out there have blogs but they definitely aren't run-of-the-mill mommy blogs. I talk about my kid a lot on here because I love her and she's cool and I enjoy sharing our life with people. I enjoy giving others a glimpse into our little lives in the hopes that somehow we'll be better connected with the world around us. I don't want us to dig down in our holes and never see the beauty of the people and places around us. Sure, there are times when I worry I'm over exposing her. I know there are creepers out there on the internet who are sick and twisted, and honestly sometimes I freak myself out a little with just how honest and personal I am on here.

But that's okay - I trust in the fact that what I'm doing here is 900% more for the greater good than evil. I have faith and confidence that by sharing my life with others, I am being the best person I can be. I don't hide the bad and the ugly, but I don't air all my dirty laundry out here. The same goes for the good in my life - I talk about all the nice things in my life more often than not, but there are moments I keep for myself and my family. My life isn't an open book - it's just sort of cracked open wide enough for others to peek at a little.

So this brings me back to the things I look for in the people and blogs I enjoy reading and learning about. I enjoy honesty in other people's blogs. I want to read about how someone else is struggling with being a mom and getting the dishes done and their kids toilet trained. I enjoy reading horror stories about sick babies and new parents pulling all-nighters with their firstborns. The plain and ordinary circumstances of our day to day lives are actually quite funny and entertaining if we're willing to just accept them and share them with others. Not every blog has to be about exciting rendevous in foriegn countries or exotic trips where no expenses are spared. Not everyone has to be famous or semi-famous or even quasi-famous for their lives to be interesting. Actually the lifestyles of the (un)rich and the (un)famous are far more entertaining than any Hollywood starlet could ever hope to be.

My blog is about my life and my family - my hopes, my dreams, my nightmares and my desires. I share with you (almost) everything that's going on in my life and 97.4% of the time it's not earth shattering excitement. It's just me and my life and my boring little stories that sometimes make you laugh (or at least smile in the corners of your mouth...like I hope you're doing right now - are you?). I love honest blogs that showcase honest families and honest people and aren't afraid to be boring. I love boring! It makes me feel better about having such a boring life myself!!!

But then again, I don't think my life is boring. Sure, sometimes it's a little slow and the world seems to be whizzing right by me. But I know I'll get back in the game in no time. It's only a matter of time before my un-boring moment comes and I'll have something really great to share with you all. Until then, just keep checking back if you enjoy the semi-great (and even the quasi-great). That's all I can promise you. That's all I expect out of the blogs I follow. Simple greatness.

Now there's an oxymoron for you from the biggest (oxy)moron of them all - me.

1 comment:

  1. great post. Exactly what I've been struggling with. You automatically assume you're a "mommy blog" because you have children and they make appearances in your writings.

    You kind of hate to be pigeon-holed but what a fantastic group of bloggers to be associated with!
    Love your blog
    Cheers
    jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!