Some nights my kids eat cereal. Some nights homework doesn't get done. Some nights they go to bed with dirty faces wearing the day's dirty clothes.
Some nights the house is left in a worse mess than the night before.
Some nights the laundry is piled four feet deep. Some nights the dirty dishes don't even make it to the sink.
Some nights there are fights. There are stories that don't get read to babies. There are kisses that go unkissed. There is anger and hurt and tears.
Some nights there is nothing to do but hide and cry in the bedroom. Don't let them see your tears of frustration and anger.
Some nights there are tired bodies bumping into each other in crowded hallways. There are words spit with venom. There are "I hate yous" and "I really hate yous".
Some nights are, for lack of a better word, complete and total shit.
But, for every one of those "some nights", there are other nights.
Other nights dinner is done and done right and done on time. There are full bellies and warm bodies.
Other nights homework is finished and books are read. There are clean jammies and freshly washed faces.
Other nights the laundry gets (mostly) caught up and the dishwasher is loaded. The house gets straightened.
Other nights there is kissing and hugging and loving. There are moments hidden from little eyes and extra "I love yous" and moments for momma and poppa.
Other nights, in fact most nights, are divine in their simplicity and imperfection. Other nights are the norm and the good and the reason we can make it through some nights that are hard.
Tonight, I am my grateful for the nights when I don't "fail"* at motherhood. I live through the some nights so I can love the others.
*None of us really fail at this motherhood thing; we're all bumbling fools just doing our best to keep our little humans alive!*
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment!