This post is being re-posted because I was lucky enough to be featured on Blogtrotting! Go over here to see the article - thank you Blogtrotting!
There are two gas stations. Two fast-food places to eat. One grocery store. Two banks. One pizza joint. One primary school. One Dollar General store. One motel. One factory. One main drag of highway. And a million little white churches.
This place, nestled in the mountains in southwest Virginia, is my home. The only home I'll ever need to know and love. I've day-dreamt my life away before, imagining other places I could go and live. But at the end of the day, when the fantasies fade away, this is the only place I want to be.
I know it's a little backwards. I know it's a little slow. I know that culturally, we're a little behind some other parts of the world. But this place is a bubble, and so I take the good with the bad. When my child gets old enough, she can go play outside in the yard, run in the woods, climb mountains if she wants to. She can swing from trees and get her feet wet in creeks. She can float down rivers. She can do whatever she wants here.
We have four distinct seasons. A hot, humid summer. A cold, snowy winter. A rainy spring. And my favorite, a crisp fall. I love the air here, the smells, the feeling of the wind at all different times of the year. There is nothing about my hometown that I would change. Not the people, the sights, the speed of life. I love it all.
And it is here, that I want to raise my children. Build my home. Bury my body. I never want to leave, regardless of what others might say about this little dot on the map. I am at home here, in my hometown. I carry it with me when I leave. And I treasure it forever more every time I return.
This is my home. My little town in the mountains. My great valley.

awesome post. I grew up in a small town and i could not wait for the day to get out of there. but now that I'm a mom - i see the appeal of a close-knit community
ReplyDeleteMy feelings exactly! Great post!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't have said it better myself! There was a time when I wanted to leave here, but now I can't imagine ever leaving!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome, I didnt think they still existed. Well growing up a big city girl, I've never really known if they did exist!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!
It sounds wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI love it too! Had the opportunity to leave and glad that I didn't! :)
ReplyDeletesweet:-) sounds like the town I graduated from high school from! I am amilitary brat, so didn't grow up there.
ReplyDeleteI, too, live in a small town...small town Canada. I imagine it's about the same (except maybe the weather) ;)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post. I did all of the things you mentioned when I was a child, and hope my child can do the same.
I've got John Cougar Mellencamp in my head right now, crooning "Small Town". Love it!
ReplyDeleteI did grow up in a small town, and now live in a "medium" town that still manages to keep it's small town feel. It's a great place to raise a family, you are so right! No big city life for me!
Thanks for the tour!
This makes me long to move out of the city! I love the convenience of it, but I would love some QUIET and personal space!
ReplyDeleteseems to me the "V" states of Virgina and Vermont (where I'm from) have a lot in common! What a melodic, peaceful post- loved it AND it heartened me as I am hosting blog trotting on Thursday and wondering if any soul will be interested in a town as rural as mine (although I love it!).
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post! As I said in the intro, you really make me yearn for my small town roots. Raising my daughter in such a big town, I worry about crime and such and wish she could enjoy the sense of community I had as a child.
ReplyDeleteThanks for being a part of BlogTrotting!
I'm with Heather, having a Mellencamp moment. What a gift it is to love where you live and feel so good about where you are raising your child.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your beautiful post.
I live in SW Virginia too so I can appreciate everything you said. We purposely moved to a small town almost 6 years ago. We far enough from the city to appreciate the quiet town where I live but close enough to reap the benefits.
ReplyDeleteI do have to admit that it took this city girl a while to adjust to the fact that we don't have street lights. :)
Great post!
I've always lived in cities, albeit medium-sized ones, so it's hard for me to imagine life in a small town.
ReplyDelete