Nov 3, 2010

celebrating curves in all the wrong places

Liz Hurley once told Allure magazine “I’ve always thought Marilyn Monroe looked fabulous, but I’d kill myself if I was that fat”.


How anyone in the world could call Marilyn Monroe "fat", I'll never understand. Sure, by today's thick-stin standards she was on the bigger side of the scale. But never fat. It used to be believed that Marilyn wore a size 16, making her a truly "plus sized" gal. But those rumors have been widely denounced, and it is know commonly thought she wore a size 4 or 6 - the farthest thing from "plus sized" imaginable.

I've been dwelling a lot on the "skinny" side of things, and how much I truly dread getting as big as a whale with this baby. I'm trying to keep things under control and to not let myself get bigger than I already am. Being a "plus-sized" woman is hard enough, but being a "plus-sized" pregnant woman carries an entirely different stigma around with it. It's awkward and really uncomfortable in these "in between" months when you're mostly bloated and only a little belly.

So for inspiration and encouragement and that extra boost of "oomph" I need right now, I'm turning to Marilyn - the queen of curves. Can you imagine what kind of trends she would've set as a pregnant, curvy woman? I like to daydream about the things she might've worn, being big-breasted and swollen-bellied.

But regardless of what Ms. Monroe says, diamonds are not a girl's best friend.
Spanx are.

5 comments:

  1. Spanx would be my number one best friend for life if they would come down in a price just a wee little bit. It's worth it, however.

    Great post lady and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was beautiful. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is an amazingly curved woman girls are skinny a woman is curved...she defined skiinny with some wounderful womanly curves

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's like when stupid Joan Rivers went on and on about how LARGE Scarlett Johansson is...what a moron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny...haven't a clue who Liz Hurley is but Everyone knows Marilyn!
    Visiting from southwest VA also; hello neighbor.
    Congratulations on the new babe, as well as the big sister who is AAAdorable.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!