Apr 22, 2011

parenting confessions

I'm pretty sure this falls under the category of "bad parenting confessions", since most of these are things I'm not proud of. And it pretty much opens the door for judgment - but maybe since it's Easter weekend all you good samaritans will take it easy on me and "judge not lest ye be judged", y'know?

-Sidney eats at least two pieces of bologna a day. I have no idea what bologna is made of (beef products of some variety, maybe?) and I know it's definitely not healthy, but the kid loves it. And I never say "no".  I just say "you've already had six pieces today, that's enough".

-Sidney likes to drink Diet Coke, and she does it just to piss me off. She knows not to even ask for it in my presence, but let her get another adult alone and she's chugging Diet Coke.

(I sound like an asshole and an idiot for giving her nasty processed meat but not weirdly sugared soda...)

-Sidney loves to watch Family Guy. Yes, Family Guy. That horrible, atheist, inappropriate, rude, lewd, totally crude show that is so not for kids. My kid loves it. Thank you, TBS.

-Some of Sidney's favorite movies lately include: Hellboy, Jaws and Silent Hill. And of course, the Twilight series (but I'm really proud about that!).

-Sidney has learned how to say "damn" in the most appropriate of situations (i.e. "the damn dogs jumped on me again"), so I've been trying to explain to her how these are words to use only at home because they're not nice. I don't expect her not to cuss a little growing up, Justin and I are both extreme potty-mouths. I'm just aiming to teach her not to use them at school and shit like that.

-There's a TV in Sidney's room. And in our bedroom. And sometimes we fall asleep while Sidney is still watching movies in our room. We did at least manage to get her in her toddler bed...in our room. It's been bittersweet breaking the whole co-sleeping thing.

-Sidney still doesn't poop in the toilet. She'll be four in September. It's starting to make me twitch a little.

Honestly, I look at this little list and think "eh, not too bad". She's my firstborn and I'm not even that uptight with her - hell, I may be a little too relaxed in my parenting ways. I would blame it all on being a mother so young, but I'm pretty sure this is exactly how I'd be regardless of my age. I'm the same person in every role of my life, the lines aren't black and white from one facet to another. Sidney's a great kid, beautiful and smart and funny and a total joy. She's respectful and honest and sweet, all the things a mother could hope for in their child. She rarely acts out, rarely has temper tantrums and is very mature for her age, in my opinion.

So I feel like I'm doing something right here. Despite the obvious flaws in my parenting style, I think I'm hitting the high notes and getting the job done and done well. I hope she feels the same way, too. And I guess only time will tell. Hopefully, she'll continue on being a good, wholesome kid.

Key word: hopefully.

1 comment:

  1. i think we all havea list like this. and if we don't then thank god that you aren't my mom. G loves pop. and I try to limit it. I also let him have candy way too much and we still cosleep

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!