Apr 26, 2012

35mm

Over the past few months, I've made myself put down my "big camera" - it got to be too much. Too much stress, too much pressure, too much aggravation. I built myself up and then tore myself down. I forgot what made pictures fun, and I lost my drive and passion for photography.

So, I just kind of up and quit. And I'm so much happier now.

Even though I was just a "hobbyist" and far from a professional, I really did enjoy taking photos for other people. I feel like I have a natural talent and a good eye, so it was nice to put a hobby I enjoyed to "work" to capture moments for people who couldn't really afford high-end photographers but were no less deserving of having their life's moments captured. It was an honor. And I still have every photo I've ever taken from the start (and I'll never delete them or get rid of them) - I love looking back on past shoots and seeing how much I've grown (and my clients!) in the past few years.

Still, no more taking photos for other people. It's just too much.

As part of stepping away from my "big camera", I made the comment that I really wanted to get back into film. You know? That stuff you had to buy, pack into your camera, and then get developed at the store? That awesome stuff.

I miss lugging around my old Canon Rebel 35mm taking photos and then waiting for the final results.
Justin on our first fishing trip to VA Beach back in 2004 or so. 
My favorite picture of Matt & LeAnna EVER. 
A sweet little Sidney, probably around 8 months.




I love the mystery of film, the non-quality quality that you get - especially with dated or expired film.I want to take more film photos! When we pack up and head for the beach (next week!) I think I'm going to only take disposable cameras. No digital nothing. Just good old-fashioned, cheap little hand-held disposable cameras.It's back to the basics, people. That's where it's at these days.

1 comment:

  1. don't you love the surprise when you open up that envelope full of prints?!
    Have fun, can't wait to see what you capture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!