I had a dual realization whilest traveling with Sidney this time. I was able to see two sides of a very important coin. Side one: I love traveling with someone who helps me with Sidney (DUH!). Not only does it ease my stress-load, but it allows me the opportunity to photograph so much more. Take for example, our trip to the aquarium: I didn't get to take nearly as many photographs as I would've liked to because I was chasing SidMo from exhibit to exhibit. I spent my time pointing out different fish, picking her up to get a better view, etc etc etc. I was so busy being hands-on with her, I didn't have time to put my hands on my camera.
Which brings me to side two: when I am so damn busy with my hands on my camera, I miss out being hands-on with my daughter. Sure, I want to photograph these memories for us to cherish now and forever. But how much time am I sacrificing with my daughter just to say "cheese" and snap the camera? Am I making the wrong choices here? Should I not worry so much about having physical evidence of our memories and instead focus on making internal memories so strong I'll never be able to forget them? Which is the right thing to do here?
I think I've figured out the answer: let someone else hold the camera. I can take turns with the people around me and still find the balance of spending time in front of and behind the lens. I appreciate these people who travel with us and give us a helping hand so much for all the work they do taking care of Sidney, but maybe I should just say "hey, can you take a picture of us?" and then let it go. Either way, I'm re-evaluating the way I look at photography and vacations and time well spent with my child.
In the meantime, here are some snaps from our trip last week.
My father is extremely proud of his garden which includes over 200 potted plants...
Sidney became a huge fan of "stopping to smell the roses"...
Luckily, there were a few moments where she felt good enough to frolick outside
Seeing the tomatoes in the window right there inspired me to take the next picture...
even though tomatoes totally disgust me.
at Busch Garden's waiting to see the "horsey"...
like she doesn't see horses and cows every freaking day of her life.
this is what you get when you hand the camera to your dad and say "take pictures"
the seals at the aquarium were such show-offs...Sidney loved them
the turtles showed-off a little, too
we couldn't get enough of the turtles
and the fish
and the lobsters
we just had to do something tourist-y
and at the end of the day (and the end of our trip) we were tired but happy girls
thanks dad & brenda!
I got the dressing at Meijer's. Totally unsure if they sell it everywhere... I'm not usually in the dressing aisle due to my distaste for salads!
ReplyDeleteYou gals look like you're having a blast this summer! So jealous!
I totally get what ur saying...I look back and think boo I wish I was actually n some of the pics with the kids!!!! But ur idea of balance is a good one! I'll have to try to let go of the camera some!!
ReplyDeleteGreat shots!!