And by "meaty" I mean "full and voluptious". This post is actually about something other than cartoons and wants and farts. It's a "for real" post - yes, I am capable of those once in a blue moon. So here goes...
I need to start celebrating the normacly in my life. What I mean to say is, there are times when I fail as a human and my inner desires (like jealousy, anger, lust, fear, etc.) manage to conquer my thoughts and then eventually my mood and before I know it, my day or night is spiraling out of control and I can't stop the noise. I fail to remind myself that my life is perfect just as it is. I fail to see the beauty in my normal, everyday surroundings. I fail to appreciate what I have and to forget the things I don't. I fail as a human being. And usually I fail hard.
I have my faults. We all do. And in today's society, with all of our social networking sites, it's easier to look at our faults and compare them to the faults of others. We all feel free to air our dirty laundry - just let it out. We read on blogs and tweets and status updates about other people and their struggles. We think to ourselves, " At least that's not me..." or "I can't believe they would actually do something like that!" We assess and judge, compare and contrast. We look for that one person who is doing worse-off than we are. And it makes us feel better about ourselves. "At least my kid eats her vegetables every day..." So? Big deal. I am guilty of this. I take comfort and pride in the fact that someone out there is more miserable than I am. I shouldn't be this way. I shouldn't get my relief from someone else's grief.
By the same token, I shouldn't covet what other people flaunt. "We just bought two new cars and a house in Bora Bora and my kid knows Latin and ancient Greek and SHE'S ONLY 6 MONTHS OLD!" So? Big deal. My kid can make fart noises WITH HER MOUTH.
I shouldn't compare and contrast, assess and judge my possessions next to someone else's. I shouldn't feel inferior because I'm not going to every blog conference accross the nation, and I don't have a hybrid vehicle, and my house is always a mess because I can't afford a nanny or a maid. So? BIG DEAL. The value of my life doesn't have to measure up to someone else's...especially side-by-side on Twitter. I have to stop doing this. I have to stop failing as a human being and I have to stop wanting what is not mine.
What I do have is wonderful. It's perfect and imperfect all at the same time. I have a healthy child, a supportive husband, and a warm family that loves me. I have friends and co-workers that make me smile daily. I have a house to sleep in at night and food on our table. I have a camera to capture life's moments and a blog to share my stories with the world. I have so much. I need nothing. Sure, there are times when I "want" (heck, my last post was an 'I want' post) but I don't need anything beyond what I already have. Everything else is just icing on the cupcake.
And I'm vowing here and now to stop comparing everything. I'm going to be proud of me and what I've accomplished and who I am. I'm going to flaunt what I've got and be supportive of those who have both more and less than me. I'm going to stop failing as a human...at least on this issue. And I'm going to tell all those nay-sayers out there to SHOVE IT. I'm happy. My daughter is happy. My husband is happy. I could not ask for more.
Except maybe that pocketbook I was talking about earlier....
Just kidding.
(Or am I?)
It's hard to avoid making comparisons, isn't it? Especially when your kid can make fart noises with her mouth. You have a right to feel a little superior. (I don't mean that in a nasty way, btw. I'm kidding.)
ReplyDeleteIts good when you can reach a point where keeping up with the Jones' isnt your priority in life and that you can count all of your blessings that are there in front of you . It helps to weed out the little bits that we tend to focus on. Nothing wrong with adding a pocketbook or ten just as long as you remember to switch them out enough times to make the same Jones' red with admiration.. =)
ReplyDeleteRealizing what I had is something I wish I'd done long ago. Sometimes when all these wonderful things are right in front of your face that's when they are the hardest to see. I was selfish and greedy and unhappy. I had such amazing things but didn't realize it. Then with one terrible decision all of those things were gone. And only then did I realize how precious those things were, how truly lucky I had been. Now I have to bear that guilt and pain for all eternity, comparing everything with what I did have, and it never measuring up. Living in the past longing for what I once had. If only I had realized what I had before I lost it...
ReplyDelete