Nov 26, 2009

my New Moon review

*****BE WARNED: SPOILERS BELOW*****

I was going to write up my own personal review yesterday, but then I found out I was going to watch it again last night, so I decided to wait until I'd seen it again. It was just as wonderful the second time around, believe you me. This is my "official" unofficial review of Twilight: New Moon.

I'll just make a list and see what comes out of all of this:

#1 The acting in this movie was a helluva lot better than the first; Bella only slightly annoyed me as opposed to really just making my skin crawl. In the acting department, New Moon gets a "B" whereas Twilight got a "D", in my opinion. Taylor Lautner lit up the screen; his acting was by far my favorite. And everytime Kristen Stewart was in a scene with him, her acting went up a couple notches, too. They just seemed so fluid together and the scenes just seemed more "real" to me (this is NOT at all influenced by my Team Jacob status, by the way!). Worst acting in this movie? The kid that played Mike Newton. SERIOUSLY. Like Dobby said, she could play that part better than him. I also enjoyed scenes with Charlie; the guy playing him did a really good job again as Bella's dad. Robert Pattinson was good, normal - I think he's already a good actor. He's just working up there towards greatness slowly but surely.

#2 The werewolves? AMAZING. Seriously, I loved all the guys playing them and I loved the CGI-animation. That scene where Bella slaps Paul and he phases right in front of her was great! Jacob was just great! GRRREAT. That scene in the rain where he's half-naked and steaming? Beautiful. I love the whole Jacob/Bella dynamic. To me, they seem like such a more believable couple. They fight and taunt and nitpick and have FUN. Does Bella ever have fun with Edward? Nope. But I'm getting off track here - like I said, the werewolves impressed me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of them in Eclipse and Breaking Dawn.

#3 I have mixed emotions about the Volturi. Michael Sheen did an awesome job as Aro; creepy and a little funny but still scary, like a vampire is SUPPOSED TO BE. Dakota Fanning was very suitable as Jane, I just wish she had more lines (I know she'll get more screen time in the next movies). I didn't like the guy playing Felix; just wasn't working for me. I did like the guy playing Jane's brother Alec (whom I can't recall his name right now) but I've seen that kid in other movies when he was younger and it drove me batty sitting there in the theater trying to remember where I've seen him. The guy playing Caius was beautiful; totally man/woman beautiful! But I hated how he rushed his lines when Bella/Edward/Alice were leaving. It sounded like really bad acting. That Marcus guy was alright, but he just seemed feeble and old and bored. I didn't think that Aro and Marcus and Cauis had a very solid three's company kind of relationship.I just felt like "I wonder what they talk about when no one's around, because they are all polar opposites". The guy who played Demitri? I just liked his hair! All in all, the Volturi served their purpose, but I don't think they were as dominating or as scary as I'd hoped. Maybe they'll build it up better in the next two movies.

#4 Loved the girl that played Jessica; she always cracks me up. Still wearing head-bands. Still talking in that same annoying voice. ("Movie night with Bella...." cracks me up every time) I love Eric and how he's crying during Romeo & Juliet in the classroom (another LOL point for me). The girl playing Angela is SO PRETTY in this movie. Either they dulled her down last time, or she got really pretty this time, but that girl was so beautiful! I've already said my piece about Mike...geez.

#5 The soundtrack was great; just like in Twilight, they managed to get beautiful and edgy music in there. I loved it; can't wait to download it sometime really soon!

Now to discuss my favorite scene of the entire movie:

THAT KISS IN THE KITCHEN! *deep breath* Did anyone else yell at the movie screen? 'Cause I did. I totally did that (the first time, not the second). That was so hot. So much tension. So much love. So much emotion!!! And then the DAMN PHONE RANG. Seriously? Seriously, Edward? You're timing is that bad? (or maybe I should say that good?) I screamed at the screen "COME ON!!!!" After they had left me hanging high and dry in the truck a few minutes before, I just couldn't handle them not following through in the kitchen. It was too much; but it's still my favorite scene. I love it. It's beautiful and at least they kissed....a little.

Other high-lights I enjoyed:

-The hair-tugging scene in Bella's bedroom - actually that whole scene is kind of awesome.
-When Sam comes in and loves on his woman, Emily. They did a good job of bringing their love to life from the book.
-When Charlie refers to himself as a "ladies man" :)
-When Bella finally gets to Edward in Italy and he says "Heaven" as they embrace - too perfect.
-That FIRST KISS of Edward and Bella's in the parking lot at school - whew! I was not prepared for the hotness. AND THAT SMILE? People, Robert Pattinson (even with his semi-crooked British teeth) has a beautiful and endearing smile. I won't even get started on the dimples.
-Speaking of dimples...the first time Jacob gets SHIRTLESS. I just about fainted along with every other girl in the movie theater. He's not just "sort of" beautiful; that boy is damn fine. I mean it: DAMN FINE.
-The dream scene at the beginning was just like I pictured it in the book; they did an awesome job with that one, too.

Some parts I didn't enjoy so much:

-Bella's beyond annoying shaky-breathing thing she does ALL THE TIME. They've got to do something about that, puh-lease.
-Edward's mock crying, squinched up face thing (thanks for pointing it out Dob) that he does a lot in this movie. Victoria cried in the first movie; why can't Edward cry in this one?
-Speaking of Vicky, why'd they change her hair? I get her eyes can be all red now 'cause she's mad and has a personal vendetta to settle the score. But why'd they redden her hair? It was beautiful to begin with.
-The bike scene when Bella and Jessica go to the movies; not like in the book and not fun or funny.
-I hated not seeing/hearing Bella's mom in this one. I know she's not a major part of the series at all, but I like her in the first movie. It would've been nice for them to at least include a phone call or something.

And now for a few questions I have:

-Anyone notice the top of the Volturi's big thrones? All three of them had different patterns on them, and I wondered if it meant something important or significant. (Dobby thinks it represents their powers)
-How is it that Alice didn't see the papercut scenario? HONESTLY?! And why did Edward have to shove her ten feet across the room before Jasper even moved?
-Why did they make the Cullen's eyes even creepier than before. They look like those damn monkeys with the big yellow eyes. Not enjoyable. And why did they mess up Jasper's hair? It was awful; worse than any toupe I've ever seen!
-WHAT THE HELL WAS UP WITH THAT VISION ALICE HAD IN ITALY? Seriously? Running through the woods all sparkly? How is that supposed to be vampire-y? I would've much rather she had a vision of Bella eating some carcass or something; not running through the woods looking like a music video for Mariah Carey.
-Did the Volturi really eat all those tourists? (Cassie asked me, and I think yes they did, but I don't know)
-Was that whole werewolf tattoo business in the book? I don't remember it. What is it? What's it mean?
-Was Aro speaking Latin? What did he say? I got that "encantante" and I think that's got something to do with love (yes! Spanish sort of pays off...a little!)

I think that's about all of it. My likes and dislikes and questions. It was a great movie. I took shots of it last night on my phone so I can have something to look at for the next seven months while we await the release of Eclipse (by the way, thank you powers that be for releasing it so soon - waiting an entire year was not fun)! I loved this movie; it solidified my TEAM JACOB status even more. And it broke my heart, because Taylor Lautner's acting is so good, it's going to kill me to watch him suffer so much during the next two movies!

Did you see New Moon? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Feel free to discuss with me and PLEASE someone answer my questions!!!


1 comment:

  1. Okay, I totally agree w/ the whole Bella breathing weird thing! haha! I hate how she jerks her eyes around a lot, too. It was a lot better this time though!

    I love Victoria's hair. I know it isn't messy like the books described, and that bothered me, but it was beautiful.

    Someone made a comment about how it was a perfect adaptation to the book. I disagree. Although it followed a bit better than Twilight. It still wasn't perfect. I can only imagine how much they'll have to cut out in Eclipse and Breaking Dawn due to their lengths!

    I've also wondered about why Alice didn't see it...BUT remember, "Alice's visions are subjective". She only sees the path once someone makes that decision.

    The vampire vision Alice had cracked me up. I couldn't help but laugh out loud at how corny it was. I am interested in seeing how they're going to make Bella look once she's transformed. Ya know?

    The tattoo thing for the wolves wasn't in the book, but I think its the same as the Cullen crest. Ya know the jewelry and stuff all the Cullens wear in the movies? I think its sorta something like that.

    I'm assuming the Volturi ate all the tourists...I can't imagine them leaving a few left. Ya know? They're all about the secrecy thing. Btw, Gianna, the receptionist...remember how they said she thinks that maybe the Volturi will keep her around? Stephenie Meyer gave an interview and said that Gianna didn't make it. haha.

    Another thing about that scene...when Heidi brings the tourists in. She was showing skin? I dunno. I didn't get that. In the book she was dress sexily, but still covered up!


    Aro was speaking Italian! La Tua Cantante....it means her blood "sings" to Edward. I do remember that from the book...I thought it was so romantic!

    OKay...THE ENDING!! It wasn't supposed to happen that way!! That doesn't happen until the middle of the third book, the night before the leave to face the Vampire Army! Geez...I know they needed to do it for dramatic purposes and a cliff hanger, but really?? Shew!

    All in all, I loved it! Definitely a lot better than Twilight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!