Mar 27, 2013

A Birthday Post Turned Prop8 Rant

Yesterday was my sweet fella's 26th birthday, and I feel like celebrating my husband's birthday (and that feeling of happiness) coincided with other feelings (like guilt, rage, sadness) with all the hullabaloo surrounding Prop8. I hate to take his birthday post and turn it into a rant, so I'm only going to say this: EQUALITY

Be it marriage equality, race equality, sex equality - whatever. This country is supposed to be the land of the free, home of the brave, equal and united. Instead, we are torn and spend our days bickering at each other from our "high horses" about issues that shouldn't even be relevant in 2013. 

I am so lucky that I was in a position to fall in love and choose to get married without worrying whether or not my marriage would be legally recognized by my home state (or nation for that matter). It just so happens that I am a heterosexual woman, so I've never had to deal first-hand with the issues that the LGBT community face, BUT I could have just as easily been born a homosexual woman. And I'm sensitive enough (and decent enough) to know that I have no right in the world to deny another human being basic rights. 

I understand same-sex marriages goes against what most Christian people believe, but what I don't understand is how or why Christian people think they have the right to push their beliefs on other people. I don't like eating onions, but I'm not going to tell everyone else they have no right to eat onions just because I don't. The logic of those that use religion to fight against same-sex marriages is completely lost on me; I don't understand and honestly, it breaks my heart to think that these are the people standing firmly in the way of my family and friend's potential happiness. Good, loving, accepting, forgiving, non-judgmental Christian people. 

Okay, so this did turn into a rant (sorry, husband!) - my point to all of this was I love my husband and I'm happy to celebrate another year of life with him as my husband and I want everyone (man or woman) to be able to say the same thing someday about their own husband. 



Happy 26th Birthday, babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!