Being a parent has a way of turning you into a wimp.
I was pretty emotional before I had SidMo - I mean, I am after all a girl and my mother's child - but now? NOW? Now that I've given birth and I have my own child? Songs, movies, poems, cards, just about anything can bring a tear to my eye.
And the sad stuff? It makes me blubber. I'm a major blubber-er.
Take for instance the movie "I, Robot" (which is playing while I write this) - it's a movie set in the future and it's all about robots and fighting and good cop v. bad cop and blah blah blah - mostly guy stuff. It's not meant to be sad or life-changing, although I do find it deep and I think it is equal parts intellectual as it is adventure and all.
So there's this scene in it, and I tried to find the clip on youtube so you can hear it in Will Smith's voice because he does such a good monologue, but alas, I couldn't find it. Anyways, he's explaining why he hates the robots and why he doesn't trust them - long story short, he was in a car accident involving another vehicle. A robot jumped in the river and saved him when it could have saved a little 12-year-old girl, instead. But it chose to save him because he had the higher percentage survival rate. And Will Smith is saying all this, tearing up - and the woman he's talking to tries to reason with him that the robot saved him because he was the candidate most likely to survive based on that percentage.
And he says, and I quote: "That was someone's baby. 11% is more than enough...A human being would've known that."
AND I COMMENCE TO FULL BOTTOM-LIP BLUBBERING. It kills me. I had forgotten this part apparently, or maybe when I originally watched this back in 2004 (when I was child-less) it didn't resonate with me the way it does now.
So, yeah, have kids all you want to. But be totally prepared to be the only one in the room crying at a Will Smith movie about robots.
I'm just happy I'm the only one home right now...Justin would totally be laughing at me.
Are you pms'ing? I will cry during Lethal Weapon when I am.
ReplyDeleteI totally get the crying thing. It almost made me cry reading it.
ReplyDeleteI already cry at things like this. Kids will kill me. I'll be a blubbering mess.
ReplyDelete