May 26, 2009

look what prop8 has made me do

It's my understanding that it isn't very wise to blog about anything while you're living "in the moment", especially if that moment is full of anger, disappointment and hostility. However, I'm in my moment right now and I think blogging about it is the only thing left to do. I've been twittering about it and now it's time to take it one step further; to explain how I feel beyond my 140-characters allotted.

I am against banning gay marriage. I am so saddened by what California has done today. I honestly cannot understand why we feel the need to take away marital rights from anyone, regardless of sexual orientation. I've never heard one good argument for banning gay marriage that wasn't based on a person's religious affiliation and belief system. Is there a good argument out there? Because I totally missed it.

Marriage is marriage in my eyes. I would never want someone to tell me that I had NO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to marry Justin. It would kill me. It kills me now that we are doing that to millions of gay couples out there today. This is not our right as Americans. We should not be allowed to deny others certain, specified rights. I know the Constitution was not written at at time when gay marriage was an issue, but it's like Justin tells me all the time when we get into this discussion: gays have been around since the dawn of time. They're not going anywhere. It's time that we quit trying to sweep these freedoms under the rug. It's time that we give Americans everywhere the right to marital protection under the law. It's time to do the right thing.

Even if religion is an issue with someone, think of all the other reasons aside from religion that we should allow gay marriage. Anyone taken a good look at our economy lately? Don't you think allowing gay couples to get married would boost that economy (because we all know those fabulous gay couples would throw some equally fabulous weddings and hello, $$$ back into our economy)! Think of the countless children waiting to be adopted/fostered. If we allow gay couples to marry and adopt equally with heterosexual couples, so many children will be given a second chance at a real family. Who are we to deny these children the right to a loving home with two equally loving parents?

I've always been opposed to banning gay marriage; it's something that's never been an issue of debate in my mind. After reading this article (in People of all places!) my mind was made up, sewn up, shut up 120%. Joy Behar just reassured me why I believe in equality for all. Joy Behar - of all the civil rights activists out there, a TV host made the absolute most sense to me. It's as simple as what she said. I would never want to be in that position. I would never want anyone in that position to suffer more than they had to because of ignorance and prejudice. I'll always fight for what I believe in. And I believe we can be a country of true and just equality for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!