I'm not usually a "list" kind of person. Lists require a coherent string of thoughts that are organized and placed into some sort of numerical or chronological order for later reference. Lists imply that a person has set goals and certain numbered hopes they wish to achieve at some point in their lives. Lists, are to me, the opposite of how I view my life. I'm a very spontaneous and fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of person. If something new pops up unexpectedly and changes the entire course of my life, I do my best to just flow with it and not fight back too hard. Sometimes the chaos of my life overwhelms me and I forget where I am or how I got there. It is in this chaos that I am able to see the true beauty of a list. A list can help you find your way back to whatever place you need to be in your life. A list can give you some direction when you have none; it can give you inspiration when you need to turn your life around.
A list can be a lifesaving thing. It will coax you into trying harder, just so you can scratch off another line of your list. I'm going to share a mini-list with you now. It's a little list of 20 things I'd like to do (or do again) before I die. Sounds a little morbid? Yes, a little. I don't mean this as a bucket list kind of thing; I'm not planning on anything untimely happening. But it could - at any moment my life could be over. By making this simple little list I am reminding myself everyday to do something new, to strive forward with a courageous attitude about my life. Change happens. It's inevitable. But that's no reason you can't still accomplish all the goals you set for yourself; sure some will take longer than others. But that only makes that moment of truth seem so much sweeter in the end.
Here's my little list. I'm interested to hear some of your lists!
(These are in no particular order or arrangement)
1.Speak fluent Spanish.
2.Spend a summer in Australia.
3.Write a novel or a novel series.
4.Make biscuits from scratch.
5.Swim with manatees.
6.Open up a B&B.
7.Break a Guinness record.
8.Own a farm.
9.Bake biscuits from scratch.
10. Get married
11. Save someone’s life.
12. Finish reading the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.
13. Learn to French-braid hair.
14. Drive cross country in my grand-daddy’s old car.
15. Skydive over the Midwest.
16. Learn to knit.
17. Visit Alaska and Hawaii.
18. Own my own LLC or small business.
19. Send my children to college.
20. Do a cartwheel.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment!