Feb 4, 2010

DiCaprio + Scorsese Heaven

I've talked about music a lot lately; now let's talk about movies. I for one am very excited about the new Leonardo DiCaprio/Martin Scorsese masterpiece coming out in two weeks - Shutter Island.

When I first saw the trailer for this movie, it looked exactly like my kind of movie. A little mystery, a little suspense mixed up with some awesome retro wardrobes and some creepy scenery. I like movies like this - the Sixth Sense, Silent Hill, Green Mile kind of thing. It's my bag, baby. And after digging a little deeper into this movie, I'm only finding myself more and more intrigued. It looks like a good one.

I'm almost tempted to run out and buy the book - maybe if I can get it read before the 19th, I'll understand the movie a little more. I've already ruined the "suprise" for myself, but that's okay. I don't look at that as ruining the movie for me.

Take for example, the Sixth Sense. I had zero clue about what was going on the first time I saw that film. My own mother, who is the queen of figuring out plot lines didn't even see this one coming. Damn you, M. Night Shyamalan! We were all shocked - I think the first 20 minutes of the car ride home were silent. None of us could grasp just how stunned we were - it was a great movie! But of course, after finding out this huge key realization I wanted to watch the movie again to see if there were clues along the way that I missed (which of course, there were - DUH) but I couldn't because we were headed home (and me being a 7th grader I couldn't quite call the shots). It was after watching that movie that I pretty much decided I'd rather know about the storyline going into a movie than to wait and be taken by suprise. A little backwards, you say? Yes, it is - but that's how I enjoy watching my movies. I want to know when the scary things go bump and I want to know who's a bad guy and who's a good guy beforehand. To each his own...

So - back to talking about Shutter Island. I've got the general story down (don't worry I won't ruin it for you) and now I'm even more excited to see how it plays out. It's a great storyline - very mentally focused and shocking, with a wonderful twisting end. I can trust that Scorsese will do right by this movie. He is the only director I trust completely with my movies; I've never seen a Martin Scorsese film that I didn't like. And just for your information, I've never seen an Anthony Hopkins film I didn't like (although The Wolfman may be the first - we'll see).

I think I've talked myself into buying the book, now. Yes, yes I definitely will be making a trip to Barnes & Noble ASAP (maybe, tonight?) and I definitely will be going with Dobby and Dustin (and maybe my husband, too) to see Shutter Island. It looks like a romping good time with thrills and frills and loads of fun (and horror and gore and goosebumps galore)!

3 comments:

  1. i've never heard of this movie. but damn I SOOOOO want to see it now. right now! and thanks for not ruining it. I like the surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see it too!

    I totally called The Sixth Sense. I did it unintentionally though. I just kinda snorted it out and laughed at my joke then turns out I was right. Of course the bf at the time was like, "You weren't even being serious!!!" when I tried to lay claim to my awesome realization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree, the previews look soooo good, I wanna see it too! My sister doesn't trust my and Jason's opinions on movies because we critique them too much, but we like to watch not only the storyline of a movie, but the acting, the scenery, music, flow of events, just everything lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!