One of the perks of blog-hopping is sometimes listening to music you've forgotten about or didn't know about to begin with. It's always a happy little suprise to me when I hear a song I used to love or heard once, fell in love with, but couldn't remember what it was or where I heard it.
And such a little nugget I found today.
Here is the amazing tune "Song To The Siren" by This Mortal Coil.
On the floating, shipless, oceans
I did all my best to smile
til your singing eyes and fingers
drew me loving into your eyes.
And you sang "Sail to me, sail to me,
Let me enfold you."
Here I am, here I am
waiting to hold you.
Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you here when I was full sail?
Now my foolish boat is leaning,
broken lovelorn on your rocks.
For you sang "Touch me not, touch me not,
Come back tomorrow."
Oh my heart, oh my heart shies from the sorrow.
I'm as puzzled as a newborn child.
I'm as riddled as the tide.
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Or shall I lie with death my bride?
Here me sing: "Swim to me, swim to me,
Let me enfold you."
Here I am, Here I am, waiting to hold you
This song is sang by the ridiculously talented Elizabeth Fraser, a Scottish singer and one helluva talented woman. She sings in a traditional Scottish style called "Puirt a beul", which basically means she emphasizes the way the music should sound over the actual lyrics themselves. The notes of the song are more important than the words; which at times can be annoying (because when I first heard this song, I couldn't tell if it was English, French, etc.) but it's also incredibly beautiful.
I first heard this song watching "The Lovely Bones", a movie that was more "meh" than "marvelous". But when this song came on at a pivotal part in the movie, it was a truly touching scene - Peter Jackson's colorful, crazy, CGI world somehow managed to match perfectly with this song from the early 80s. It was a very moving moment during the movie, and this song got stuck in my head. Not enough that I could remember it, partly because I couldn't understand it, but thankfully after a little blog-hopping, I've found it once more.
And I'll treasure it forever. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous song.