Aug 21, 2010

#dofunstuff

Hopefully by now you've heard of Ryan Marshall's blog Pacing the Panic Room - and if you haven't, then you need to go there now and read. It's amazing. He's amazing (you may remember the letter I wrote to him awhile back) and he's doing amazing things now. For his family and for the world.

I've been using my voice on Twitter the best I can to help him promote this amazing project, trying to help catch the attention of The Ellen Show, so that he can use her show as a platform to help raise awareness for SMS and to showcase the ridiculously awesome charity album he's put together. I've even tried reaching out to bigger bloggers, better bloggers with greater audiences - every day I hope to get through to the people who follow me on Twitter (I'm up to almost 400 followers now, and for once, I feel like I have a little sway in helping the earth move in the direction I choose).

And I'm not the only one. There are dozens, hundreds, (I hope) thousands of us out there supporting Ryan and his family and this album and research for SMS. It's something I've never dealt with firsthand, something I've never seen or even heard about in my personal, day-to-day life. But that's part of the beauty of this online community, this network of bloggers and Twitter friends. We can lift each other up, support one another and put our voices together as one, in perfect unison, to speak the same words together - to fuel the fire of the one we're supporting.

Ryan is an amazing blogger. I think he's an amazing guy. I hope to meet him, face to face, someday (maybe at Sparklecorn?) and I want to know that when I do meet him, I can proudly say I took part in his crusade. I was a part of this opportunity, this wonderful tweet-bomb to help raise awareness for this cause he cares so dearly about (and is making me care about, too).

What can you do to help? What will you do to help?

Follow Ryan on Twitter (@ThePanicRoom) and follow me on Twitter  (@mommaruthsays) and use the hastag #dofunstuff to any tweets you may send out