Aug 29, 2010

lil' queen

SidMo was in a beauty pageant yesterday - the little local one we do every year.

She did *much* better this year than last year - there was very little crying and no 3 o'clock meltdown. I know some people think pageants for little girls are just another way society is trying to dumb down woman and exploit their love of all things beauty-related. And I agree, to a certain extent. I'd never be a "toddlers and tiaras" kind of mom. We do this once a year, and SidMo really enjoys it - she'd enjoy it a lot better if no one clapped or cheered for her, as weird as that sounds. But she enjoys dressing up and being girly, she just doesn't appreciate all the attention she gets on-stage.

She definitely marches to the beat of her own little drum. She's the perfect mix of girly and giddy and rough and tumble. Silly and sweet, cute and crazy. I was very proud of her for conquering her fears (a little better than usual) and I'm hoping its things like these little pageants that help her get over her irrational fears - like the fear of the "happy birthday" song. But that's a post for another day.

Here she is in all her pageant cuteness and kookiness.
*she got 3rd runner up, by the way, and was incredibly proud of herself.*