Sep 7, 2011

climbing on my wedding-related soapbox.

{Pardon the rant.}

I saw a billboard today that made me want to pull over to the side of the road and burn the thing down - I was that enraged (and I'm still not sure why I got so mad in the first place, but I digress). A local bank has a new ad out for their personal loans depicting three "everyday" scenarios in which you might need to get a loan: buying a house, buying a car, and a wedding. A WEDDING.

Since when did someone need to take out a loan to pay for a wedding?! I realize in this day and age of reality TV shows like Platinum Weddings and Four Weddings and Bridezilla engaged women are exposed to one wedding after the other, day in and day out. But seriously? There is no need to take out a second mortgage on your house to get hitched. There's no need to outdo everyone within a 50-mile radius of your house with the grandest, most expensive wedding. There's no need!

If couples (I'll say couples, because some grooms-to-be might be in on this insane trend) spent half of their time focused on the marriage as opposed to the wedding, our national divorce rate might drop significantly. Why do people feel like they have to have top-of-the-line weddings, no matter what that means for their bank accounts?

I don't get it. Justin and I had a low-key wedding that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Mom and I did a lot of DIY projects and used local family and friends to make our wedding feel "homey" and special. His Mom (and sister and Aunt) catered, a friend of ours made our cakes, a friend of the family was our DJ, we had our reception in my Mamaw's backyard and my bridesmaid made all of our favors (you can read more about our wedding HERE). It was wonderful, to be supported and surrounded by people who loved us and made our day possible.

All I'm trying to say is focus on the person you're marrying - put your energy and time into having a great marriage, not just a great wedding. There's no need for you to drain all your hard-earned cash on some lavish party that's over before you can blink. Have a good wedding - have a wedding that represents who you are and how you feel. Make it as wonderful as you want, but don't buy into the notion that you have to pay big bucks to make that happen! It's all about the person you love and the road that lies before you. No dress or cake or venue can outshine the love you (should) feel for your fiance. So don't even try to let it.


I can't believe I'm so heated about this topic, but here I am - mad at our society for feeling like this. I think I'll just boycott WE TV for awhile so I don't have to think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Shawn and I couldn't even afford a wedding so we just took the kids and went to the justice of the peace. The kids talked through us saying our vows and we both ended up laughing at some point during the "ceremony", but it was real. It was the way we do things and I wouldn't change a thing about that day. It was one of the best days of my life. Maybe one day when we have some extra cash to throw around we will have a more fancy vow renewal thing but even then I'm sure I will spend countless hours making special things and finding more affordable ways to do it myself instead of paying ridiculous amounts of money on things I'm capable of doing. Maybe I'm just cheap or I was raised to appreciate the things that really matter in life. Whatever it is I definitely feel the same way you about this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!