Sep 14, 2011

don't let the blogging blues get you down

There have been many times over the past few years where I feel myself losing steam with this whole blogging scenario. I start having all these unimportant and irrational thoughts.

"No one reads my blog - why bother keeping it?"
"Do people really care about this sort of thing?"
"I'm so boring."
"I'm not as good as other, bigger, better bloggers."

It's an endless, mind-chattering cycle of useless self-conversations. Who cares if no one reads my blog? Who cares if I'm not very funny or entertaining? Who cares if I have a small following - or no following at all? Why am I basing my happiness and success rate on the interaction I have with others? Shouldn't this blog be about me and what I want and how I feel?

And the answer is, DUH! YES!

There have been so many times I've gone back through my archives just to read up on the daily life stuff that happened two years ago. There's a 101 little moments I forget about in the day-to-day shuffle of life; this blog helps me remember. It makes me smile. It documents all these magical moments in my life, with my husband, with my children, with my friends - moments I never want to forget. And I don't have to, all thanks to this little blog of mine.

I can assure the feeling I get inside, all warm and fuzzy and wonderful, is 100x better than any feeling I get when a post receives a bunch of hits or comments. Don't get me wrong, I love my readers and those who feel inclined enough to comment on my posts (I honestly try to respond to every single comment, promise!) -- thank you, to those who come here and read and feel a connection to me. I feel very connected to all of you. But I can't rely on you to make me want this blog, to make me appreciate this space. I have to do that all on my own, with or without readers.

My advice to you: don't let the hoopla and hustle of the ever-changing blog world get you down. Write down your little moments, no matter how boring or mundane they seem at the time. I promise you, some things you will forget. And as long as you put them out there, you'll always have a virtual reminder of a time "way back when". You'll never regret those moments; and if you do regret them, you'll always have a way of reminding yourself not to get to that place again.

Thank you blog, for being my little recorded slice of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!