May 23, 2011

pumped

I feel like a bit of an asshat for talking about induction and epidurals and sounding overly whiny, like I'm really dreading the pain of this whole childbirth process thing. Watching documentaries about natural childbirth will do that to a girl, I guess.

Yesterday I watched most of The Business of Being Born - I say "most" because Justin walked in somewhere around the 90% mark and was all, "TURN IT OFF, NOW". He has this thing about childbith, mainly he doesn't want to think about it, don't talk about it, don't think about talking about it, etc. Seeing childbirth on our 55-inch glory of a TV at 3:00PM in the afternoon was just a bit too much for him, I guess.

So, yeah, it's an amazing film. Here's my official recommendation, if you want it. I felt empowered and excited and a little apprehensive about our healthcare system, but overall - it just made me excited to give birth again. I wasn't in control the first time around; I say that, because I never really took control. I just went with the flow of things, which is good, but I didn't lead at any point in the process. I never had that moment of "surrendering to the pain" because I surrendered from the start. It may sound crazy, but I want that moment. I want to know that I out-lasted Mother Nature as long as I could, and whether or not I seek medical intervention, I want to know that I embraced this process and I gave it 110% of my heart and soul and body.

Justin may hate thinking about talking about childbirth, but I love it. It consumes me daily (as it should at this point, I guess). I'm just ready, the anticipation is building - much like the anticipation before the "big game" or prom or something cheesy like that. My emotions feel complicated, equal parts corny and sincere.

This is an amazing thing to do, such a woman thing to do - yet, I still feel very girl about it. I'm ready, 36 weeks ready and it's time. I wish she were ready, too. Four more weeks (at the ohmigod most) and I'll be a heavyweight champion of birthing once more. Two time defending champ. Let's do it.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on the second one! I'm anxious to see how things are the second time around as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!