Mar 8, 2012

I'm not proud to be a Virginian this morning...

I like to think that I have home-town pride to spare. I'm wildly happy to let people know I'm from the great state of Virginia, one of the original thirteen colonies. But this morning, I'm not happy. Or proud. In fact, I'm disgusted with my home state and our governor.

Yesterday, Gov. Bob McDonnell signed a law into place requiring that women seeking abortions undergo abdominal abortions first, then wait twenty-four hours before being allowed to terminate. Only victims of rape or incest are exempt from this law. Women are not required to see the ultrasound pictures, but it is still mandatory they have one.

This absolutely breaks my heart and infuriates me.

Before you start thinking I'm pro-abortion, believe me, I'm not. I wish there was a way for every baby to be born and placed in loving arms that would take care of them forever, whether that be their birth parents, adoptive parents or foster parents. In my "perfect world" there would be no need for abortions - but this isn't my perfect world. And when it comes right down to it, it isn't my choice to make for another woman.

I would never, under any circumstances, believe that I had any right, power or place to tell another woman she could not, should not, and will not have an abortion. It is her choice and should be her protected right as a citizen of this country. To know that the law is stepping in to try and take away from that right is abhorring.

This is a law based on morality and religion - I don't care what they try to say.

Abortions are traumatic and I would hope no woman chooses to have one under light circumstances. They should not be used a means of birth control, and they should always be the absolute last resort for any woman. I can't imagine anyone, no matter cold-hearted they may seem, takes an abortion procedure lightly. It has to be one of the absolute hardest decision any woman makes, no matter the gestational age of the fetus.

But my point is, I can't believe our government -specifically my state government- is taking a step like this. A step that pushes us back decades in regards to women's rights. This is just the first step - what else with they regulate?

Some of the discussions being tossed around in the political race today scares the living shit out of me - is this where our country is headed? I expected so much of this year's political rat race to focus on the economy, jobs and reducing our national deficit. I never imagined basic women's rights would take the front and be used as a catapult to divide Republicans and Democrats.

This is a time in our nation when we should be uniting, now more than ever, and instead we are digging up old axes and using them to wound one another repeatedly. Our lack of focus on the future is making me feel uneasy.

And these are all feelings I wish could be put to rest - it's going to be a long 2012, I'm afraid. I can only hold out hope - hope that enough people will speak up and speak out.

And I hope that will be enough.


3 comments:

  1. i'm pro-choice. oklahoma is currently trying to pass a personhood act - where the fetus is a person is when there is a heartbeat. so many implications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, the female had a choice whether or not to have unprotected sex. She chose wrong and a baby was created. Why should that baby be punished for her mistake? I cannot imagine that it is easier to kill that life rather that give it to someone else who will lovingly raise that child. Good for you Governor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you know she had a choice whether or not to have unprotected sex? I don't believe any of us are in a place to judge others or choose what specific details surrounding an unwanted pregnancy warrant the level of easiness or difficulty in choosing abortion. It's not our place to decide for another human being, regardless of whether or not we agree with their choices. I am for supporting every person's natural right to CHOOSE for themselves. Laws like this take away our natural rights.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!