Dec 16, 2009

I Spy the Cyrus Parents

I'm shocked. I'm stunned. I'm speechless....almost.

I know that by even writing this, and re-posting this, I'm probably adding more fuel to the fire I'm trying to extinguish. But I just don't get things sometimes. And when things overwhelm me, I come here and explain them hoping that maybe you won't get them either, and then I won't feel so alone in my uncertainty.

Where in the world are the Cyrus parents at? Seriously, do they have their heads so far up their butts that they can't be bothered to watch their own children anymore? You know, to teach them right and wrong, appropriate from inappropriate? Have they just completely given up on parenting their children? I realize that Miley has raked in more $$$ than they'll be able to spend in three lifetimes, but seriously - they have younger childen (and older) who still need them. Heck, even Miley still needs them! But I've given up on her. Now, I'm just waiting for the Britney-esque trainwreck to ensue.

But there was is hope for Noah, whom I believe is their youngest daughter at age 9. Read that again folks, she's ONETWOTHREEFOURFIVESIXSEVENEIGHTNINE. I get that it must be pretty cool to be able to hang backstage at your big sister's concert and see all these dancers and lights and hear loud music. It's a total celebrity lifestyle; one little Noah's been around since birth, only amplified by her sister's success. She knows no other way of life. And I understand as a young girl, she must be somewhat jealous of all the attention her sister (and other famous siblings) get. Just like any other normal nine (see how I keep stressing the nine year old part here?) year old girl, I'm sure there are times when she wants the spotlight on her, if only for a moment. She wants a little recognition, too - I get that. It's something we've all dealt with before, as children ourselves and with our kids.

However, I can't believe that the following happened:

And the only thing that Noah learned from this little situation? Shake your butt, sing a little song, and the room will go crazy for you - they'll all stop to look at you, cheer for you, and talk about you for days/weeks afterwards. NOT A GOOD LESSON TO LEARN at NINE FREAKING YEARS OLD!!!!! Where are her parents? Where is someone, anyone to step in and say, "Look, nine year old Noah, you are just a kid. You shouldn't be shaking your butt in front of strangers singing a song by Akon about sex! You should be playing with Barbies, having sleepovers with your friends this late at night - not backstage at your sister's concert!"

DEEP.BREATH. IN. AND. OUT.

Now, that's my initial reaction - to jump and scream and judge and call out her no-good parents and their no-good parenting skills. Obviously, that's a knee-jerk reaction, and I should take a moment to reflect and review.

IN. AND. OUT.

Noah is only a 9 year old kid. She probably has very little clue about how intensely graphic that song is; she also probably doesn't associate those movements she's doing with the actual movements they're meant to be. She's just attention-hungry and knows that people laugh and smile at her and focus only on her for two minutes out of the day. That's about as far as her internal processing goes, I'm sure. She's an innocent here; confused by stardom and looking for a little love. I get that. I sympathize with her situation. I almost feel bad for her in a way.

But that still does not exclude Billy-MulletLoving-Ray and Mommy-Tish! Where are you people hiding at? You've already fame-whored out one child; isn't that enough? Can't we just save sweet, little Noah from all of this? You've got your $$$; you've had more than your fair share of the allotted 15 minutes. Seriously, a nine year old girl should not be looking like this:

Not in Hollywood...not anywhere on this planet.

I dare you to spot the parents in this picture. Do you see them? Look real hard. Get really close to your monitor and squint your eyes. Are you squinting? Are you two inches from your screen? Do you see them?!

Nope. Neither do I.

6 comments:

  1. See? I would never even attempt to put this on in my closet with the door closed at nine years old because I KNOW what my parents would have done.

    That's good parenting right there.

    Thanks Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I think I'm going to go vomit. My youngest daughter is 6 1/2. There's no way I'd let her leave the house looking like that at 16, let alone at 9. Eeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad that while she doesn't know what this song is exactly about, people just let her sing and dance to it! I wonder if anyone watching her dance in that room was asking themselves "ok, wait a minute, is this off, even just a little bit?" hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. First let me state the obvious that the outfit that girl has on is ugly. (ha-ha).
    Second, I COMPLETELY AGREE With you!!! This is ridiculous!!!
    What is the world coming to......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's terrifying. I mean. The dress is kinda rock'n'roll princessy and would be cute -- over leggings or jeans and with a jacket! The boots and lipstick have no-no-no business on a child.

    I know that most kids want to grow up faster, and I'm sure this one thinks of herself as an adult. I did when I was nine. But. When did we lose the line between adult and sex symbol? When did that kind of dress-up become okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just so sad what people let their children do! Have you looked in the doll aisle of the toy store lately? They sell slutty clothes for dolls now!

    I miss the days when Barbies were fully and appropriately clothed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!