J: "I don't see how she has this much energy!"
M: "It's all that coke she's been doing..."
J: "She hasn't drank that much Coke-"
M: "No, not that kind of coke" [insert nose suction here]
J: "Oh. Well, coke's a hell of a drug I guess."
This was the conversation we had last night about our little rugrat. Lately she's had this extra zest for life - all of this energy that comes out of nowhere and lasts for hours and hours and hours and hours. She's like the energizer bunny on speed. And with all of this go, go, go comes emotions that are just as volatile and extreme. She's either REALLY happy or REALLY sad or REALLY mad.
And that's fine - I mean, I'm all for expressing one's emotions and all. But the kid needs to find a happy balance. The extreme happy I love and adore and cherish for the cuteness. But the extreme sadness is overwhelming. It's hard to explain things to a sobbing toddler. Once they reach that meltdown point, there's no going back, no salvaging the situation and getting things back on track. You have to step away from the whole thing, take a little time to regroup and then reassess how you're going to move forward (and usually you only have about 15 seconds to figure all this out - especially when you're in public and a tantrum happens).
Now that SidMo has started this new medicine for her reflux, I keep having these reoccuring nightmares where we're swimming in a sea of grape-smelling nastiness and we're drowning over and over again. Sidney hates taking medicine; like LOATHES it. It takes two people to successfully give it to her - one to hold her down and control her thrashing body and the other to hold her mouth still and give her the medicine little by little so that she doesn't choke on it. Sounds awful, right? You have no freaking idea. It's just a nightmare. And poor SidMo, whenever she sees the medicine bottle she starts crying and saying "I better! I better! I better!" It's the most pitiful thing you've ever seen...believe me.
But other than that, SidMo is a bouncing ball of life and happiness. She's getting so smart - lately she's started piecing more words together to make bigger sentences. She's learned more words in Spanish and Chinese (thanks to Dora and Kai-lan) - and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not, but she can tell you what episode is coming on for any show out there within the first 0:03 seconds. The girl has a memory to rival 100 elephants (she doesn't get that from me)! She's doing amazing, despite all the stuff that's trying to hold her down. I'm so proud of her - so proud to be her mother and to be a part of her life. Nothing in the world rivals being a mother...absolutely nothing.
Even if you are the mother of a wild and crazy toddler who spends her days running naked through the house making fart noises.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment!