Ever since Sidney was about three months old, I've dreamed of baby #2.
Yes, that may seem crazy. I remember a friend of mine dropping in to see us when we first came home with SidMo; her daughter is about three months older than ours. She told me "I'm already ready for another one..."
And I remember thinking "YOU'RE CRAZY!" - I might've even said something along those lines to her. She just lauged and said, "You'll see".
Of course, she was right. As crazy as it seemed at the time (and seems now) I was ready for another baby then. Even though I definitely was nowhere near being ready in actuality. In my mind, the time was right and I was ready again.
That's probably got to do with some sort of animalistic instinct, right? Some sort of motherly need from prehistoric times or something? I have no idea where it came from, but baby fever was upon me fast. Of course, there was no way we were having another baby. One unplanned suprise was enough; we didn't need two.
So here we are, almost two and a half years later - we're married, we're out on our own. We're talking more and more about that baby #2. If Justin still had his job and things were a little bit more stable, I'd almost be willing to try again. Almost.
The more we talk about it and the more I think about it, the more it terrifies me to have another child. I'm not worried about the sleepless nights or the screaming infant or the messy diapers. That all passes before you can blink.
The thing that terrifies me the most is being the mother of two children. To this very day, I'm constantly evolving as a parent. Every day is a new adventure, a new road I'm lead down by my daughter. I watch her and study her to figure out what kind of parent I need to be for her. I mold myself to fit her. I adapt to her and her needs. That may be backwards of me, but I want to be the kind of parent she wants.
I always thought I'd be such a strict parent, the kind that felt no remorse for spanking or putting my child "in line". I thought my children would walk the line I set before them and that they'd be courteous, kind, respectful, obedient children. God, I was delusional.
My parenting these days is so drastically different from what I thought I'd be. I am such a "hippie" parent sometimes, it makes me laugh. We co-sleep. SidMo is still in diapers. She still sucks a pacifier. I don't really spank that much (only in dire circumstances). She can throw a fit in public, and it really doesn't mortify me like I thought it would.
I'm all about letting her grow in her own time. I have a million reservations about pushing her too hard into anything. Justin keeps harping about getting rid of the paci; and I'm not too concerned about it. She'll let go of it in her own time. Everyone is on our case about getting her potty-trained. And while I know it's where she's headed and it's the right thing to do, I just can't push her into doing it. She's almost ready, but she's not there yet.
And it doesn't bother me in the least bit.
I remember when she was a little baby, I'd worry every month that she wasn't hitting her milestones in time. I remember freaking out to my Mom about what was "normal" and if Sidney was "on schedule". It seems like night and day to me now.
These days, I follow her lead. I let her go and let her grow on her own time. I don't stress about her being ahead of the curve or falling behind. I trust in the fact that she'll get there. Eventually. Someday. I don't worry about the rest.
I started this post talking about baby #2 and here I am babbling on about my baby #1.
The point I really wanted to make was, I'm afraid that I'll have two totally different children and I won't know how to adapt to both of them at the same time.
I'm completely freaking out that my kids will be night and day of each other; and I've spent so much time trying to figure out how to be a good mother to Sidney, that I won't know how to be a good mother to another child. I don't doubt I'll love them equally; I know that my heart has room for a million more kids. It's just that I'm worried about mothering them differently. I'm worried that I'll be cheating one of them by not being able to mold myself into what they both need, individually and together.
Is that a crazy worry? Am I insane for thinking things won't just click into place? Shouldn't I just trust this free-flowing mindframe I'm in and believe in the knowledge that somehow I'll be able to just do it (like they say at Nike)?
It's a scary thought process - one I'm still struggling to conquer and overcome. Baby #2 will happen for us eventually, someday I hope. Until then, I can only work on perfecting my mothering skills. I can continue to strive to be a good parent to my SidMo. And I can do nothing else but hope that nature will run its course.
And through these streams and creeks and rivers and oceans of parenting, somehow I'll find my way. If nothing else, I've always got my firstborn, my baby #1, my Sidney Morgan to guide me.
Mary Ruth, first let me say that I have never been the mother to just one child, I have always had 2, but trust me when I say that you will always be the kind of mother that more than one child needs. My children are as different as they can be. You will always manage to know what one is doing and what the other needs. There really is no adapting in that as it is just knowing. I'm sure I am not explaining this well. LOL I just wanted to say there is nothing to be afraid of. It is just part of being a mother to know what each individual child needs and trust me, if you aren't getting it right they will tell ya! LOL Sometimes I feel like I am making a difference in my girls, but in reality one just requires more attention. The other is happy to be left alone, but when she is ready for attention she lets me know it. It all balances out. I'm sure this isn't much help, but I wanted to let you know that it isn't as scary as it seems. :)
ReplyDeleteWe had 2 babies (18mo apart) early on into our marriage. At the time I swore I never wanted another and sought the best birth control possible. Fast forward 3 years and now we are working on number 3! I am ready to give it another shot and be ready to "chill" more this time around. The fear of the unknown is always terrifying, but, as the famous Frenchman said, "C'est la vie." (I think.) Relax and as it seems you have figured it out so quickly, #2 and the followings won't be anything to sweat. Besides, I already find that more is easier than fewer.
ReplyDelete-meg
All parents are terrified they won't be good parents or will treat their children differently. Well, here's a news flash - you will treat each of your children differently because they are unique and special in their own way. I think being a parent is a tough but extremely rewarding job. I was a nervous wreck before my first child (a son) was born because I thought I would not be able to cope with the demands. Well, I adjusted and my hubby adjusted and we managed. Two short years later our second child (a daughter) arrived and we learned by trial and error to appreciate the differences between our children - who are like night & day and enjoy every day like we are supposed to. Today my children are grown - one is getting married in May and the other is still in college. They are both great kids - in spite of the shortcomings of their parents. So relax, enjoy little SidMo while she is young and when the time is right have that second child. There's plenty of room in your heart for all children!
ReplyDeleteI was the same way!!! So worried my daughter would not hit her milestones, worried she was growing at the right pace (I even stopped nursing and switched to formula because the doctor's had me freaked out she wasn't gaining enough weight). And now that she's 2 I'm so laid back. When people ask me when I'm starting potty training and I tell them when she's ready. My daughter still has her pacifier too!
ReplyDeleteThis post pretty much sums up my journey with Leo and my apprehension to have #2! I love reading your post, thanks for the reminder that I am not crazy!
ReplyDeleteXO
Heather
Seriously, the DAY that I gave birth to Monkey, I was already thinking "i can't wait to have another one" and we started tryin when he was 3 months old because the dr wanted me to give my body "at least" 3 months before i tried again. We have been trying ever since.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think ALL mothers "know" what kind of mother they will be before they have kids and then everything they thought they "knew" goes out the window. I am the same way. When I used to see kids in the store throwing a fit or whatever, I thought "OMG PARENT DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR KID!" but now I am like "ok you just go ahead and scream because I won't let you throw all of the canned foods onto the floor, whatever you need dude, mommy is going to just shop and ignore you" and then I go about my day. That isn't to say that some days I am not mortified, but I TRY not to be mortified. LOL
I am in the same place with you as the pacifier and potty training. I figure they are not ready so why push it.
ReplyDeleteAs the mom to two who are night and day I think it actually makes me a better parent. It keeps me from catering too much to their whims which change all the time.
I think every mom worries about the second but you will be awesome. And a sibling is a great gift to your kids.
You are such an amazing mom! I love your parenting style and I think Sydney is so adorable. I always thought my parenting style would be super strict and i wouldn't give in to those kisses but i do. My husband is completely the opposite he is mr strict and it drives me crazy lol. He says i let too much go and i say hes too strict i guess we balance eachother out. As far as being ready for number 2, I don't think anyone is ever a hundred percent "ready". I don't think anyone is every 100% ready to be a parent period you may think you are but when it all hits your still wow'd. Sometimes you just gotta trust your instincts and I think you would make a great momma to two!
ReplyDeleteAs a mother to 2 daughters let me tell you my experience.....They will be different in may ways. I have often said that if I had my second child first, I would not have had more...My first, Heather was so mellow and easy, my second Hannah was not. Hannah kept me running for years, I could not take my eyes off of her for a second. That being said, my love for each of them is not different, I found a way to adjust to each ones personality......it took a few years but I managed....I must add your daughter is very cute!
ReplyDeleteSo, here's something scary for you: my sons? Complete opposites. What I learned with one doesn't apply to the other. Sometimes it's maddening.
ReplyDeleteBut I wouldn't have it any other way.
My older son is the loud, go-get-em one. He's too busy to cuddle but he always makes me laugh. My younger son is laid back and easy going. He's the cuddler. What motivates my older son to get things done has no affect on the younger son. And, really, vice versa.
If anything, it's made me a better parent.
You'll be fine. Worrying about these things now is proof of it.