Kids should come with instructions. And warning labels. And 1-800 numbers to call when things go wrong.
"Hello, Operator? My kid just asked me if "Hell" is a bad word, what the hell do I say?"
One thing I love about Sidney's age is the element of surprise that happens during daily conversations. She has the cutest ability to catch me off guard with the things she can think of sometimes.
"Mom, I think the leaves are falling because they just got too heavy. The trees are tired."
"Mom, did you know apple juice makes you poop easy?"
"Mom, is it okay if I hit Sissy, real easy, when she kicks me? BUT you spank me!"
"Mom, can we get a sleep number bed?"
"Mom, you remember when I was a kid....."
She picks up everything, knows so much about so many things I didn't even realize she'd learned yet. She may act like she doesn't hear me a lot of the time, but she hears everything. She knows it all. I love this age she's at. I've always said two was one of my favorite ages, but four is proving to be just as fun.
Sure, she's got that wonderful four-year-old diva attitude. She can still throw a temper tantrum like no one's business. She's got sass and spunk and a smart-mouth for miles sometimes. But she's just so smart, so willing to learn and listen and get my opinion about the world. She wants to know what I think, how I feel about things. Honestly, it's kind of refreshing.
I'm very cautious to spout my opinions, although it's nice to be asked, because I want her to have her own. I want her to think and reason and figure out how she feels about things, even if she is only four. Don't discredit four year olds, they can have very deep rooted emotions about all kinds of things. Given the chance, they can blow your mind with profound insight and wit.
And, of course, they can remind you of the beauty of play. The simple things. Coloring. Dancing. Singing. Cooking. Dreaming. Kissing. To look at everyday tasks through the eyes of a four year old is to see beauty in everything. I love seeing the beauty of the world through this beauty.
I love her little four-year-old self.
"Hello, Operator? My kid just asked me if "Hell" is a bad word, what the hell do I say?"
One thing I love about Sidney's age is the element of surprise that happens during daily conversations. She has the cutest ability to catch me off guard with the things she can think of sometimes.
"Mom, I think the leaves are falling because they just got too heavy. The trees are tired."
"Mom, did you know apple juice makes you poop easy?"
"Mom, is it okay if I hit Sissy, real easy, when she kicks me? BUT you spank me!"
"Mom, can we get a sleep number bed?"
"Mom, you remember when I was a kid....."
She picks up everything, knows so much about so many things I didn't even realize she'd learned yet. She may act like she doesn't hear me a lot of the time, but she hears everything. She knows it all. I love this age she's at. I've always said two was one of my favorite ages, but four is proving to be just as fun.
Sure, she's got that wonderful four-year-old diva attitude. She can still throw a temper tantrum like no one's business. She's got sass and spunk and a smart-mouth for miles sometimes. But she's just so smart, so willing to learn and listen and get my opinion about the world. She wants to know what I think, how I feel about things. Honestly, it's kind of refreshing.
I'm very cautious to spout my opinions, although it's nice to be asked, because I want her to have her own. I want her to think and reason and figure out how she feels about things, even if she is only four. Don't discredit four year olds, they can have very deep rooted emotions about all kinds of things. Given the chance, they can blow your mind with profound insight and wit.
And, of course, they can remind you of the beauty of play. The simple things. Coloring. Dancing. Singing. Cooking. Dreaming. Kissing. To look at everyday tasks through the eyes of a four year old is to see beauty in everything. I love seeing the beauty of the world through this beauty.
I love her little four-year-old self.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment!