I'm writing this now (Saturday night, 10:45) while the memory is fresh in my head. I've just gotten home from Kingsport, the girls asleep and my head filled with the fuzzy, warm memories of a good night at the movies. Save for our horrible experience at dinner, this evening was perfect. Me, six of my girlfriends and one feller who got roped in (sorry, Gerald!) all sat our butts down at 6:30 tonight to watch THE movie I've been waiting to see for over a year now...Breaking Dawn: Part One. Here is my unofficial official review.
Let me start by saying, I'm obviously a huge fan of this movie. I have several other posts here on the blog dedicated to all things Twilight. I knew what to expect of this movie. I knew what I wanted to see and could only hope the movie delivered.
The movie mostly delivered. Breaking Dawn, the book, was hard to read in my opinion. It felt like I was all over the place getting three different viewpoints on the same story, and I could barely keep up. Not easy or fun for me. The movie, thankfully, is still mostly from Bella's viewpoint, although I was glad to see Jacob's POV was fairly represented in the movie. For me, that was the best part of the book. I enjoyed seeing things through Jacob's viewfinder much better than through Bella's. In the scene where Jacob sees Rennesme for the first time, I could hear Jacob's words echoing in my mind about feeling the "cables" pulling at his heart. I, for one, was very glad to see the werewolf side of the story shown more in this movie than in others.
The big honeymoon scene everyone was just dying to see? Meh. It obviously would've been a thousand times better if they would've kept the "R" rating instead of "PG-13", but still that wouldn't have helped out a whole lot. It feels almost awkward to watch Bella & Edward "love" scenes now. It's almost like I know them too well, it's too personal - maybe it was because we were sitting in the very front row, but I just felt like I was their friend spying on them. It wasn't comfortable. That could also be due to Dobby's wonderful masturbating comments during the ocean scene (commenting on how Edward looked like he was "whacking off", not that Dobby was masturbating during the movie or anything - just to clarify).
I laughed a lot during the movie, Dobby cried a lot. I think Samantha was just mostly bored. Miranda kept having to speak the dialogue for Meghan who couldn't hear. I think Gerald was suprised by how much he didn't hate the movie. And Cassie was keeping bets on if/when Dobby would cry during the movie. Pretty typical stuff, I'd say.
The birthing scene was rough - like, so rough I couldn't watch most of it. Maybe it's the fact that I just gave birth myself less than six months ago, or maybe it's the fact that I couldn't stand to see Edward ripping through Bella's placenta with his mouth...there was just something off putting about the whole thing. I was glad to see the scene given it's due with gore, however, because the book explained it in great detail, too, from what I recall.
Also, mad props to whoever was in charge of special effects for Bella. Emaciated isn't even the word, girl looked like a walking corpse. They did an amazing job on that, I give them credit!
The scenery in this movie was gorgeous, especially the wedding scene. Dress was "meh" for me too, especially being Carolina Herrera (is that correct? someone check me) but the back of the dress was divine. Charlie was usual funny Charlie, his is a character that needs more screen time in my book.
The wolfpack was good as always, hot and tan and sexy and brooding. Like I said before, I was glad to see their side of the story shared more in this movie. Maybe it's just 'cause I've always been a Team Jacob girl, I just appreciate me some werewolves.
The dialogue in the movie kind of killed me - wasn't exactly what I'd expect from the second to last movie. You'd think they'd be able to hire the best of the best when it comes to screenwriters but damn if they don't keep choosing the most awkward and "hit or miss" writers ever. Some parts were spot on and others felt really uncomfortable (hello, wedding speech scene).
All in all, it was a good movie. Exactly what I've come to expect from this franchise with little to no suprises. I felt it was a true representation of the book for the most part, and I saw almost everything I wanted to see play out on screen just like I wanted to see it. The next movie will be all battle and angst and "will they make it or won't they?" even though we all know how it ends. Honestly, who hasn't read the books by now? Why do these Hollywood directors think they can make us worry about the fate of any of the characters WHEN WE ALREADY KNOW.
Unless they change the story from the book and then I predict Twilight fans will rebel and riot all across the world. Have you seen Breaking Dawn? What did you think?
Let me start by saying, I'm obviously a huge fan of this movie. I have several other posts here on the blog dedicated to all things Twilight. I knew what to expect of this movie. I knew what I wanted to see and could only hope the movie delivered.
The movie mostly delivered. Breaking Dawn, the book, was hard to read in my opinion. It felt like I was all over the place getting three different viewpoints on the same story, and I could barely keep up. Not easy or fun for me. The movie, thankfully, is still mostly from Bella's viewpoint, although I was glad to see Jacob's POV was fairly represented in the movie. For me, that was the best part of the book. I enjoyed seeing things through Jacob's viewfinder much better than through Bella's. In the scene where Jacob sees Rennesme for the first time, I could hear Jacob's words echoing in my mind about feeling the "cables" pulling at his heart. I, for one, was very glad to see the werewolf side of the story shown more in this movie than in others.
The big honeymoon scene everyone was just dying to see? Meh. It obviously would've been a thousand times better if they would've kept the "R" rating instead of "PG-13", but still that wouldn't have helped out a whole lot. It feels almost awkward to watch Bella & Edward "love" scenes now. It's almost like I know them too well, it's too personal - maybe it was because we were sitting in the very front row, but I just felt like I was their friend spying on them. It wasn't comfortable. That could also be due to Dobby's wonderful masturbating comments during the ocean scene (commenting on how Edward looked like he was "whacking off", not that Dobby was masturbating during the movie or anything - just to clarify).
I laughed a lot during the movie, Dobby cried a lot. I think Samantha was just mostly bored. Miranda kept having to speak the dialogue for Meghan who couldn't hear. I think Gerald was suprised by how much he didn't hate the movie. And Cassie was keeping bets on if/when Dobby would cry during the movie. Pretty typical stuff, I'd say.
The birthing scene was rough - like, so rough I couldn't watch most of it. Maybe it's the fact that I just gave birth myself less than six months ago, or maybe it's the fact that I couldn't stand to see Edward ripping through Bella's placenta with his mouth...there was just something off putting about the whole thing. I was glad to see the scene given it's due with gore, however, because the book explained it in great detail, too, from what I recall.
Also, mad props to whoever was in charge of special effects for Bella. Emaciated isn't even the word, girl looked like a walking corpse. They did an amazing job on that, I give them credit!
The scenery in this movie was gorgeous, especially the wedding scene. Dress was "meh" for me too, especially being Carolina Herrera (is that correct? someone check me) but the back of the dress was divine. Charlie was usual funny Charlie, his is a character that needs more screen time in my book.
The wolfpack was good as always, hot and tan and sexy and brooding. Like I said before, I was glad to see their side of the story shared more in this movie. Maybe it's just 'cause I've always been a Team Jacob girl, I just appreciate me some werewolves.
The dialogue in the movie kind of killed me - wasn't exactly what I'd expect from the second to last movie. You'd think they'd be able to hire the best of the best when it comes to screenwriters but damn if they don't keep choosing the most awkward and "hit or miss" writers ever. Some parts were spot on and others felt really uncomfortable (hello, wedding speech scene).
All in all, it was a good movie. Exactly what I've come to expect from this franchise with little to no suprises. I felt it was a true representation of the book for the most part, and I saw almost everything I wanted to see play out on screen just like I wanted to see it. The next movie will be all battle and angst and "will they make it or won't they?" even though we all know how it ends. Honestly, who hasn't read the books by now? Why do these Hollywood directors think they can make us worry about the fate of any of the characters WHEN WE ALREADY KNOW.
Unless they change the story from the book and then I predict Twilight fans will rebel and riot all across the world. Have you seen Breaking Dawn? What did you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment!